Monday, April 30, 2012

Greetings from Sue

I guess it's about time for me to put my 2 cents into this trip, and not just be the tagalong.  Betty has done a wonderful job of describing our adventures so far, so I will fill you briefly in on my "pickpocketing trauma." last Friday.  After a wonderful time in Brugge, we were ready to move on to Ghent.  However, we still had not enjoyed a true Belgian waffle, so decided it was time to do that.  This is the last time I knew I had my wallet.  We enjoyed a nice walk to the train station, and made our way through a very busy station, entered a very full train amongst many not-so-always polite Europeans.  Seating was very limited and we all took the first seat we found.  Wouldn't you know it, I pick the seat next to the gypsy lady.  I had my purse and backpack close to me at all times (but obviously not close enough),  About 20 minutes into the trip, I suddenly had this feeling.  The wallet was gone!!!  So I went into my panic mode, and my wonderful sister and niece calmed me down and took over the situation.  (I was a mess).  We got off at our stop, turned around and went back to Brugge (15 minute) in hopes I left my wallet at the waffle shop.  Deb took off running to the shop, we met her halfway back, but no such luck.  We stopped at the train Police station and filled out a theft report.  They were extremely helpful, friendly and some of the nicest policeman I have ever met.  They told us that there are at least 10 pickpocket events reported daily, and that is just the reported ones.  He said the chance of getting the cash (170 euro) back is 0% and the credit cards 5%.  So all they got was the wallet, money, credit card, WI drivers license and a picture of my adorable grandchildren.  When we arrived in Ghent we contacted my family to cancel my cards.  Luckily Jen was online at school, she was able to get ahold of Randy, who efficiently cancelled all my cards.  I had made a copy of everything, so it was easy (lesson for all).  The luckiest part of this whole adventure is I decided to put my passport into a different pocket in my purse.  Had they stolen that - it would have really put a damper on the adventure. We also were blessed with good connections on our chase, helpful Europeans and the fact that it was so easy to get ahold of the USA so they could do cancelling.  So now it is time to move one, and continue to enjoy the wonderful adventure.  I am very grateful that my sister is here and able to "front" the rest of my trip.  There will be "reckoning" when we get home, but family is the biggest blessing of all.

It's Monday morning, April 30th  - we are about to get dressed in our orange and celebrate QUEENS DAY.

No comments:

Post a Comment